Here is a highly recommended podcast for anyone looking for quality information about the barefoot movement, foot development, injuries, shoes, etc.
Dr. Irene Davis, Ph.D. is the founding Director of the Spaulding National Running Center at the Harvard Medical School. She is a wonderful source of knowledge and displays it fully in this podcast. Definitely worth a listen.
Peter and Irene discuss a variety of topics such as:
- Development of the human foot
- The evolution of shoes and the impacts on running injuries
- Running injuries and their relation to the feet
- Heel striking vs toe striking
- Impact forces and shoe cushioning
- Minimalist shoes
- Transitioning out of shoes and gaining foot muscle volume
- Foot strength in podiatry
- Case studies
- Movement patterns and the negatives of our modern environment
- Much, much, more
These are the sources that we love to point people towards to show that the science and research are trending in this direction.